- The Leica BLK3D has to be at least software version 2.08.1569. When you connect the Leica BLK3D to the internet it will automatically update to the latest version.
- Your computer must run Windows 10, otherwise you cannot connect the Leica BLK3D to the PC and copy the Leica BLK3D project files from the Leica BLK3D to your computer.
- ELCOVISION 10 must be version 9.040 or newer.
Image Group Capture Mode
If this mode is active the Leica BLK3D can be used like a normal camera and any number of pictures can be taken.
Then a new project must be created in "Image Group" mode:
Copy the Leica BLK3D project 1:1 to the PC
Do not change any paths or rename any files!
Computation of the Point Cloud
Automatic orientation and generation of a high density point cloud
For this tutorial we use a set of images of an erratic block which we want to evaluate in different ways::
Here you find the Leica BLK3D project. Download it and unzip it to a local hard disk with at least 1GB free space.
Start ELCOVISION 10 and open the Leica BLK3D project "Findling.cmi". The Leica BLK3D project will be loaded and interpreted automatically:
Start the automatic orientation with natural points:
The following wizard starts:
You see an information about the pictures, especially the information that a picture is 4096*2432 pixels in size is of immediate importance. Click [Next], the following page appears:
Check High Density Point Cloud and select 2048 pixels, i.e. half the image size, as the scale. This is a good compromise between level of detail and computing time. Click on [Start]. After a few minutes you will get the following result:
About 2.9 million points should have been calculated. Click on [Finish].
The project is automatically scaled correctly by using the Leica BLK3D with its stereo cameras and automatically aligned correctly using its tilt sensors. We can immediately carry out any desired evaluation.
Trimming the point cloud
- Click on "Point Clouds" in the project manager
- Right click in the point cloud > "Point cloud true colors"
- By pressing the left mouse button you can rotate the point cloud, with the mouse wheel you can zoom into and out of the point cloud
- Rotate the point cloud so that you can view it from above.
- By pressing [Shift] and the left mouse button simultaneously, the point cloud view changes to selection mode. Drag a rectangle around the set of stones
- By releasing the [Shift] and left mouse button, the points within the selection rectangle are selected.
- Right-click > Crop selection
Export of the point cloud in various formats
The point clouds can be exported in different formats, either all points or only parts of them can be exported.
Import the point cloud into a BricsCAD drawing
- Save the ELCOVISION 10 project and close ELCOVISION 10.
Start BricsCAD. At least version 20.02.07 is required
- Start the ELCOVSION 10 plugin by typing "elcovision" in the command line of BricsCAD
- Open the ELCOVISION 10 project (.proX) with the Open Project command in the ribbon bar and position the drawing window and the project window side by side.
- Save the drawing. This is necessary because the point cloud is referenced into the drawing.
- Start the point cloud export.
- After a short time the point cloud is imported into the drawing.